As we know that eye is very delicate and sensitive part of our body. Many people have to face different types of eye problems as they spend long hour sitting on computer, using mobile phones continuously. Gradually their vision gets blurred and they have to suffer from various eye diseases. Glaucoma is one of them that damages the optic nerves of your eyes. So, in this article we will discuss about glaucoma, its causes, its symptoms and its treatment.
Glaucoma is a condition that damages your optic nerves of eyes. Optic nerves help in sending visual message from your eyes to the brain and are significant for good vision. Glaucoma happens due to high pressure on eyes. It can happen at any age but it is common in old adult. Glaucoma has many forms in which some forms have no signs or symptoms. it is not easy to be diagnosed it at initial stage. It gets worse by the time. Its effects are so gradual that you cannot notice its signs. If glaucoma is diagnosed at early stage then you can prevent loss of vision and control it. First of all we will know about the symptoms of glaucoma.
• Severe eye pain
• Blurred vision
• Red eyes
• Colored rings around light
• Nausea or vomiting
• Dull or cloudy eyes
• Tears without crying
• Increased blinking
• Gradual loss of side vision
• Nearsightedness that gets worse
Glaucoma has various forms and each form has different symptoms. The forms of glaucoma are listed below:-
• Open angle glaucoma: - This type is the most common. It can go unnoticed for years because most people don’t have any symptom.
• Acute angle-closure glaucoma: - This is rare type and often comes suddenly. It can be severe and require immediate medical treatment.
• Normal tension glaucoma: - As many as one in three normal people have optic nerves damage even when eye pressure is normal not very high.
• Glaucoma in children: - Some babies are born with drainage canal that doesn’t form properly during fatal development.
• Pigmentary glaucoma: - It is the most common in young, nearsighted male. It develops due to flow of excessive pigment throughout the anterior segment of the eyes.
Before treating glaucoma, It is necessary to know its causes.
Glaucoma develops due to damage in the optic nerves. It also develops when the fluid inside your eyes flows out of your eyes through a mesh- like channel. If this channel gets blocked or the eye is producing too much fluid, the fluid builds up. It can be genetic or inherited. Glaucoma can happens due to a blunt or chemical injury in your eyes, severe eye infection, blocked blood vessels in your eyes and inflammatory condition.
1. Mainly glaucoma is found in the people of old adults who are over 40. But sometimes it is found in infants.
2. The people who are native of America, Africa, Iran, and Russia have more chances to suffer from glaucoma.
3. It can be inherited, so it can transfer from parents to their children.
4. The people who have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or anemia can have risk to develop glaucoma.
5. People who have injury in their eyes have high risk of occurring glaucoma.
The purpose of glaucoma treatment is to stop any loss of vision. Initially, your doctor will start the treatment by prescribing you eye drop. If the eye drop is not working then he will prescribe oral medication and if needed he will give you more advanced treatment. Glaucoma treatment includes the following measures that ophthalmologist uses:-
1. Medication: - Several medicines are designed to cure glaucoma. These medicines can be in the form of eye drop or tablets. You are prescribed on e or combination of these by your doctor.
2. Surgery: - Your doctor can suggest surgery to make the drainage path for fluid or kill the tissues that are responsible for boosting fluid.
A Centre of Excellence in Eye Care for 37 years, Bharti Eye Foundation was conceptualised and nurtured by Dr. S. Bharti in 1985. The hospital has been accredited for patient safety and quality of care by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) , a constituent Board of Quality Council of India. All super-speciality eye treatment services and investigations are available under one roof.
|Week-Days:||9am - 6pm|
Copyright © 2022 · All Rights Reserved Bharti Eye Foundation