Poor lifestyle or some mishappening can lead us to eye disease or problems. Some diseases can be cured with the help of medications like eye drops, pills or wearing glasses but some are needed a kind of surgery. SMILE eye surgery is one of them. So, in this article, you will know about SMILE eye surgery, its benefits and how it is done.
Smile eye surgery is a form of keyhole laser eye surgery that can rectify vision for people who have a higher degree of short-sightedness. Here, SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. It is a bloodless procedure and is suitable for people with or without astigmatism. It can be a great alternative to the well-known LASIK or LASEK treatment. Moreover, SMILE is a type of surgery used to correct the refractive error like myopia (nearsightedness), hypermetropia (farsightedness), astigmatism (blurred vision in all distances), and presbyopia (an inability to focus your eyes up close). The refraction is performed by the cornea and the lens. SMILE surgery changes the curvature of your cornea and gives a sharp vision of your eyes. SMILE surgery is newly launched. It was approved for myopia correction in 2016 and for astigmatism in 2018. In the further article, you will know about its benefits and the procedure of SMILE surgery.
• Quick procedure: - As compared with other Lasik eye surgery, SMILE surgery is quicker than them. It takes 20-30 minutes to be done.
• Speedy recovery: - Patients experience a quick recovery after having SMILE surgery and they also experience less discomfort as compared to the other LASIK eye surgery due to no flap being created around the cornea.
• Fast result: - SMILE surgery gives fast results. 80% vision improves within a few hours of surgery and reaches maximum improvement within a few weeks. On comparing, you will observe that LASIK surgery gives results in about 24 hours while LASEK in few days.
• No dry eyes: - The patients experience much less dry eyes after SMILE surgery.
• No chances of flap complications: -No flap is created during SMILE surgery. There are no complications like the flap folding or moving and the eye is more comfortable after SMILE surgery takes place.
• This treatment is accepted by more people: - SMILE is a minimal form of laser eye surgery. SMILE surgery is advised for those people who can’t have another type of surgery.
• It reduces the need for glasses or contact lens. You may even be able to see without them.
• Before the surgery, the ophthalmologist does a complete eye examination because they want to make sure that you don’t have any eye problems, especially in the cornea.
• They will test your vision to make sure that it hasn’t changed over the past years.
• The ophthalmologist will also check the thickness of your cornea and take the precise measurement and feed it into the computer that will guide the SMILE surgery.
• It is a computer-guided procedure and takes usually 20-30 minutes.
• This surgery is performed under local anesthesia. The medicinal eye drop is put into your eyes to make them numb. A femtosecond laser is used to cut a small lens-shaped disc in the cornea.
• This disc is extracted through a small incision only 2 to 3 mm wide. This incision can also be created by a femtosecond.
• SMILE surgery reshapes the cornea to exactly reverse the refractive error of your eye.
A Centre of Excellence in Eye Care for 37 years, Bharti Eye Foundation was conceptualised and nurtured by Dr. S. Bharti in 1985. The hospital has been accredited for patient safety and quality of care by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) , a constituent Board of Quality Council of India. All super-speciality eye treatment services and investigations are available under one roof.
|Week-Days:||9am - 6pm|
Copyright © 2022 · All Rights Reserved Bharti Eye Foundation