Laser cataract surgery is recommended for that person who is suffering from a cataract. A cataract is an eye disorder in which the natural lens of the eye becomes cloudy which leads to blurry, cloudy or dim vision. When anybody has a cataract, he is unable to see properly and has difficulty in reading at night. Cataract can’t be cured with any medication, it can only be corrected with laser cataract surgery. Therefore, to get rid of cataract, an ophthalmologist suggests surgery. So, in this article, we will discuss laser cataract surgery and its benefits, procedure and its side effects.
Laser cataract surgery is a kind of surgery in which an ophthalmologist removes the natural cloudy lens and replaces it with a new and clear artificial lens that is made of silicon, acrylic or plastic. Laser cataract surgery is a very advanced technology that uses an imaging system to give a 3-D view
of your eye and assists an ophthalmologist in planning and treating cataract and improves your vision. This is a blade-free assisted surgery that reduces the instruments used and increases the precision of the procedure. During cataract surgery, the surgeon uses laser to create a precise incision and a circular opening to access and remove the cataract. Besides it, laser cataract surgery is used to soften the cataract before removal.
In short, laser cataract surgery is a bladeless, quick and safe procedure. In the further article, you will know about the advantage, disadvantages and procedures of laser cataract surgery.
1. More precise vision correction: - In laser cataract surgery, a 3-D view is created by an imaging
system which results in an accurate vision. The person who gets laser cataract surgery, experiences more clear
vision after he has healed.
2. Low risk of complication: - As we told you that it is a bladeless procedure, so there is less chances of complications. This surgery removes the cataract and reshapes the cornea.
3. Speedy recovery:- It takes up to one or two weeks to recover after laser cataract surgery as there is low risk of complications.
4. Painless surgery: - laser cataract surgery is painless as your surgeon gives you medication to numb your eye and they use laser ray and ultrasound to break down cataracts into pieces. As a result, the cataract is removed easily.
5. Multifocal lens implanting may lessen the dependence on the corrective eyeglasses after surgery.
The procedure of laser eye surgery involves three stages that are mentioned below:-
Before the surgery, your surgeon will give you an anesthetic medication injection to make you relax and after that, he will give you an anesthetic injection with a needle or eye drop into your eye so that you don’t feel any pain during the surgery. If you feel anything that will be eye pressure. They will cover your face with a medical drape.
Laser cataract eye surgery is done with your eye opened. A small retractor is placed around the eye. He will make a small incision of about 2 to 2.5 mm long in the periphery of your cornea with laser. They break the lens into small pieces using a femtosecond laser. Next, they will insert a new intraocular lens implant to replace the previous cloudy lens. Thereafter, your surgeon may also create a small incision with the laser to prevent residual astigmatism after surgery. The incision is self-sealing so, there is no need for stitching.
For recovery, your ophthalmologist will prescribe you some medicines and eye drops to prevent
dryness in your eyes. If you feel better or you don’t have any complications after laser cataract
surgery then, you will be discharged to go home the same day.
After laser cataract surgery, you will recover within a week still, you need to wait for your ophthalmologist to give you green light.
• As you know that after surgery it takes time to heal so, protect your eye for several weeks.
• Protect your eyes from any kind of chemicals or water.
• Always wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sunlight while going outside. And also protect them from bright light inside the house.
Although laser cataract surgery is very safe and has very low chances of risk or side effects yet,
you may experience the following symptoms of side effects:-
• Blurry vision
• Dry eyes
• Discomfort or a kind of itching in your eye
• Glare and halos around the light
• Light sensitivity
• Red eye
• Droopy eyelid
A Centre of Excellence in Eye Care for 37 years, Bharti Eye Foundation was conceptualised and nurtured by Dr. S. Bharti in 1985. The hospital has been accredited for patient safety and quality of care by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) , a constituent Board of Quality Council of India. All super-speciality eye treatment services and investigations are available under one roof.
|Week-Days:||9am - 6pm|
Copyright © 2022 · All Rights Reserved Bharti Eye Foundation